Cundy Street Quarter

Click through the timeline to read about how the Cundy Street Quarter has evolved over time

Timeline

1760s

Present-day Ebury Street is recorded on the map as Five Fields’ Row. It was in one of the houses on the west of the street that eight-year-old Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart composed his first symphony in 1764.

1870s

The site was fully developed and more densely occupied. Cundy Street was called Little Ebury Street. The map shows lanes running between homes, creating a route from Ebury Square to modern day Orange Square, which we would like to re-introduce.

1880s

The southern area of Cundy Street Quarter was redeveloped with the construction of the Coleshill Buildings and the creation of Orange Square. In 1884, Ebury Square became a public space.

1920s

Major development occurred in the area, including Walden House.

1930s

Little Ebury Street was renamed Cundy Street, after the architects who oversaw the design, planning and construction of Belgravia during the 19th Century.

1950s

After bombing devasted the area, the Cundy Street flats were built during a period of materials rationing following the Second World War.

Cundy Street today

The Cundy Street Quarter in southern Belgravia is bordered by Ebury Street, Cundy Street and Pimlico Road. Made up of the four Cundy Street buildings, Walden House and the car park of the Coleshill flats, each part of the site is segregated and closed off to the public.

News →

Downloads →

Contact →

Privacy Policy →

Terms and Conditions →