Cundy Street Quarter

The site today

The Cundy Street Quarter in southern Belgravia is bordered by Ebury Street, Cundy Street and Pimlico Road.

Made up of the four Cundy Street buildings, Walden House and the car park of the Coleshill flats, each part of the site is segregated and closed off to the public. In addition to opening up the area, creating more opportunities and homes for more people, we will invest in improving Orange Square and Ebury Square, alongside Westminster City Council, as part of our proposals.

Existing residents

We recognise the impact our proposals have on existing residents. We understand their concerns and have put several measures in place to help people plan for the future.

Westminster Council residents

The lease to Westminster City Council (WCC) at Walden House was due to expire in June 2021. So before we started consultation on the project in April 2019, we agreed to give the council two more years on the lease to allow more time for suitable new homes to be found.

WCC has offered these residents a right to return to the new affordable homes we would build on-site. We are working with Westminster and the residents that are impacted by development, and will continue to engage with them moving forward.

Private renting residents

We have been informing Cundy Street residents about the possibility of redevelopment since 2012 and confirmed our intentions with them earlier this year, over two years before the leases end. Since then, we have offered individual tailored support to help people make plans for the future. Some of the tenants are on protected leases with a right to continued tenancy and we are offering these people suitable alternative homes nearby in Belgravia.

Site history

History of the Cundy Street Quarter

1760s

Present-day Ebury Street is recorded on the map as Five Fields’ Row. It was in one of the houses on the west of the street that eight-year-old Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart composed his first symphony in 1764.

1870s

The site was fully developed and more densely occupied. Cundy Street was called Little Ebury Street. The map shows lanes running between homes, creating a route from Ebury Square to modern day Orange Square, which we would like to re-introduce.

1880s

The southern area of Cundy Street Quarter was redeveloped with the construction of the Coleshill Buildings and the creation of Orange Square. In 1884, Ebury Square became a public space.

1920s

Major development occurred in the area, including Walden House.

1930s

Little Ebury Street was renamed Cundy Street, after the architects who oversaw the design, planning and construction of Belgravia during the 19th Century.

1950s

After bombing devasted the area, the Cundy Street flats were built during a period of materials rationing following the Second World War.

Downloads →

Privacy Policy →

Terms and Conditions →